Vellum hinges

Mark Graham magraham@bw.edu
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 16:09:29 -0400 (EDT)

There is a piano at the historical society which I have been asked to
repair, not restore. It's from the early 1800s, a vertical. It's already
been bastardized a bit, so they aren't going for authenticity, just making
it work. It's from Halifax. I have the maker written down somewhere, but
couldn't find it in any references.

Anyway, I need to fix several hinges where two wooden pieces come
together, and something paper-thin that joined them together is broken. Is
this the infamous vellum hinge? Any hints on fixing them? Is this in the
archives anywhere?

The museum's exact instructions are, make it so we can play Silent Night
on it once a year.

Mark Graham
Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory of Music
Berea, Ohio