String Levelling questions

John Woodrow woodroj@syvax.email.dupont.com
Tue, 07 Apr 1998 16:36:01 +1000

List,
In my desire to learn more about this subject, I trust you will allow me to
summarize a few points of difference in the current discussion on string
levelling.  I stress that I do this only as a pathforward for discussion
and understanding, not in anyway to identify whose 'right or wrong'.

Everyone is aligned that string levelling is a very important voicing
procedure (ok I'm sure somebody doesn't agree, but you haven't come forward
yet).

However, opinions differ in regard to whether string levelling affects
uprights.  Many have said yes, Del Fandich disagrees and wrote:
> And there is a reason why these problems are not generally found in the
upright piano designs. With the notable exceptions, of course, of those
designs that attempt to use
tuned aliquot string segments. As designed today, most vertical pianos have
inherently superior string termination systems compared to those commonly
found in grand pianos. (For
more on this subject, see my articles in the Journal of a couple of years
back.)
<

Also, opinion on the reason that strings need to be levelled differs.

On Mon, 6 Apr, "Richard Moody" <remoody@easnet.net> wrote:
>>So then do you mean we (oops that damn word again) are bending piano
strings to make up for lousy agraffes?<<

Bill Ballard replied:
>I've never believed that theory. I can't believe that properly located
aggraphe holes are so  great a challenge that every piano factory should be
falling flat on its face trying to successfully produce these critical
doodads. At least that what we have to conclude when we insist on blaming
the undeniable pervasiveness of unlevel strings on poorly drilled aggraphe
holes. Especially when the much more obvious answer is in the curling
nature of piano wire itself.<

Del Fandich wrote:
>Might I suggest that "we" are doing a lot of bending of piano strings to
make up for lousy string termination design. Most pianos being built today
use agraffes that are very similar, both in design and in manufacture. Yet
some pianos have major string leveling and termination problems and others
do not. It fact, some piano designs using agraffes from the same
manufacturer have string termination problems requiring much string fussing
and leveling and others do not.>

Both Del and Bill are in agreement that agraffes are not the cause.
However if Bill's view that the problem is caused by "the curling nature of
piano wire", wouldn't the problem be found equally in grands and uprights
which Del contends it is not?  Is it primarily confined to specific
manufacturer/models as Del contends?

I must admit some surprise to find that after 30 or more years, there is
still disagreement as to the cause of why 3 wires will not sitting level
between 2 points.  If we can conquered the challenge of going to the moon
30 years ago, surely we could have gotten to the bottom of this 'blight' on
the piano world.  If I was a digital keyboard supporter (see I didn't call
them pianos) I would be having a real hoot on this one.

Comments anyone.

Regards,
John

Email:		Woodroj@syvax.email.dupont.com