Scaling

Fri, 03 Apr 1998 07:59:48 -0800

ralph m martin wrote:

> Del and Susan
> Please allow me to offer an idea to solve the entire situation without
> having to rely on a lot of engineering.
>
> Simply install a mechanism on the bridge that works like the sharping
> levers  on a harp. You throw a lever of simple design and one string of
> each unison is sharped just enough to creatre a 6.5 hz beat. This will
> give the entire piano a lovely vibrato so that no one will know what
> temperment you have used anyway.
>
> Don't try to be kind, Del...do you think my idea has any merit?
>
> Imagine what maketing could do for that piano?!!?
>
> Ralph Martin

Ralph,

The idea may have artistic and marketing merit, but it would drive engineering and
manufacturing wild. Discounting the string termination problems that would be introduced,
consider the mechanical difficulties. Since each unison (don't forget that through much of
the scale there are going to be three strings that will each need one of these devices) in
the piano has a different length and/or string tension, each of these devices is going to
have to be designed for a specific string. To maintain unison tuning consistency, the
pitch of each individual string of each unison is going to have to be tracked very
precisely. The ensuing mechanical linkage would be something that only Rube Goldberg's
mother could love.

Keep inventing...

Del