Scaling, a challenge

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 09:31:50 EST

<< Calm down folks, nobody has been 'had'. I chose that particular subject to
annoy you all with because it struck me as right on the edge of plausibility.
On one hand, the flakiest theory you can conceive can be made almost
believable if you can tie in enough loosely related facts. Conversely, a most
serious subject can be made to appear inconsequential by throwing in enough
diversionary fringe elements to dilute credibility. Like SO MUCH of this
profession, what is gospel, what is debatable, and what is nonsense depends on
where you stand when looking at it. I whipped up a class 'B' borderline
concept, added a dash of salt, and went fishing to see who
 would respond >>

I still think it would be interesting to "run the numbers", just for the sake
of discussion.  Richard Moody had this comment:

<<Since there are an infinite varitieties of temperaments, ET would be chosen
as the most uiform changing one.  Which scale designers LOVE the most.  ET
triumphs again. (snip)  BUT choices are limited according to the size of
string.  Because of this limitation, the choices of string length are of a
compass that includes all temperaments. >>

To say that "ET triumphs" and then follow it by saying that there is enough
room for all temperaments in the decision seems contradictory.

While I did read the flowery embellishment of Ron's post, I disregarded the
idea that this was a joke.  It is, in fact, how many perceive the very idea of
any HT, a joke.  "Are you going to tune that piano BACK to ET when you're done
fooling around with it?, HMMMM?"  I assumed that he really was pondering the
idea that a varied scale design might be in order if the piano were to be used
primarilly for HT's.

Since there are so many who truly believe that the modern piano was "designed
for ET" as Richard seems to, why not explore whether 1/4 comma Meantone
frequencies really would call for altered string guages?  I say that they
would not.  And if this is so, then any argumaent that using any HT runs
contrary to the "intended design" of the piano would be a false assumption.

Let's prove or disprove it.  It is an often asked question and an even more
often used argument that I hear from the ET only crowd.  On pages 241 & 242 of
Dr. William Braid White's book, Piano Tuning and Allied Arts, there is a two
octave listing of "meantone" frequencies.  I assume it is 1/4 Comma Meantone.
This would usually be the most extremely non ET that one might want to tune.
Let's have someone who has a scaling program substitute these frequencies with
those for theoretical ET and see if it would alter the determination of any
wire sizes on a typical piano, say a Yamaha or a Steinway.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin