Scaling

Wed, 01 Apr 1998 10:42:02 -0800

Ron.

Your concerns are well founded. This has been an area of some concern to me of late. So,
I've been working on several new concepts in piano design that should, I hope, solve at
least part of the problem.

Essentially the changes are relatively minor. Implementing them may be somewhat complex,
however. By definition, altering the temperment tuning will have an affect on string
tensions. The main problem, then, is one of keeping the string tensions the same as the
piano is tuned to the various temperments. There is very little change within the
temperment octave itself. So the major alterations to the piano's scale must be made at
the extremes of the scale. Since, due to the effect of inharmonicity the treble section
will always be tuned somewhat sharp of a flat line and the bass will be tuned somewhat
flat, the most logical, and easiest solution will be to fasten the bridges onto a separate
panel that can be made to swivel, or pivot, around a carefully chosen central point. This
rotational point should be centered exactly in the center of the temperment octave. Of
course this means that each temperment would have to set within the same octave, which
might be a problem for some. As may be, this would enable the tuner to select in advance
the position of the bridges -- hence the string lengths and, by extension, the string
tensions -- in advance by slightly rotating the bridges to compensate for the variations
in anticipated frequencies resulting from each separate temperment. Perhaps Owen Jorgensen
could add an appendix to his book listing these frequencies. Also, it should be a simple
matter for Al and Dean to reprogram their products accordingly to include the appropriate
BRoFa (Bridge Rotation Factor) for each temperment. It should be possible to fit all of
these BRoFa's on one CD-ROM unless some more new HT's are invented after the system is in
place.

As expected with any ground-breaking new technology such as this, there are a few minor
technical problems to be overcome. Minor details such as impedance matching, etc., can be
easily worked out. In fact, it is quite possible that some added features can be worked
in, such as a method for automatically raising the pitch of the instrument. It should be a
fairly simple matter to simply move the bridge back away from the agraffes slightly. This
would make the strings longer and their resonant pitch would go up. Thus when it became
necessary to raise pitch, the task could be accomplished by a simple adjustment taking
mere moments. This feature may not be popular with those piano technicians who derive a
substantial portion of their income from pitch raising. But that is their problem, not
mine.

No, by far the most formidable problems involve the temperments themselves. Since several
of these temperments can become decidedly mean at times, I anticipate that there will be
significant problems in maintaining a smooth and mellow voice throughout the piano scale
as the temperments are altered. I expect to be able to at least partially solve the voice
problems with a variable density (hammer) head. I do not anticipate that dynamic
expression will be a problem.

Obviously, there are many technical problems to be overcome here. So, please don't expect
immediate results. However, I should have some meaningful progress to report by this same
time next year.

Till then,

My regards to all...

Delwin D Fandrich