Scaling

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 07:06:55 -0600 (CST)

4/1/98

I've come up against a seemingly insurmountable problem that someone out
there might be able to help me with. There is a very good chance that one of
the instruments in my shop at the moment will ultimately be used in a venue
requiring that it be tuned in a number of different historical temperaments.
I am rescaling the beast, and my problem is this. Does anyone have rescaling
software that optimizes for temperaments other than ET? Since tensions and
inharmonicity are computed from speaking length, wire gauge, wrap diameters,
length and positioning, and *frequency* determined by position in an ET
scale, it wouldn't be exactly right for any other tuning scheme. This could
have tragic consequences considering the ultimate use to which this
instrument will be put. Since it is apparently not possible to tune in ET to
infinite accuracy in the first place, and - since almost any deviation from
ET turns out to be a documented, or surmised, variant of some obscure
temperament anyway - I suppose I'm looking for a scaling program that
produces emotionally satisfying screen graphics of scale colorations that
will (in use) trigger massive endorphin secretions in the brains of
listeners of the music performed thereon, no matter what the tuning scheme.
Does anyone know of a nice fuzzy, friendly scaling program that will do
this. I need a 'wild breast' soother, and I'd even take a beta version for
testing.

Thanks in advance for your help. My endorphin levels are rising in anticipation.

 Ron Nossaman