Rescaled Mason & Hamlin BB (was Re: Need a Mason Expert)

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 07:56:30 -0500

On 9/28/97,  Delwin D Fandrich, pianobuilders@olynet.com wrote:
>David,
>
>Yes well, just like with the sometimes inappropriate changes made to
>action geometry, not all rescaling work is done correctly.

Del,

I missed your reply but this snip was forwarded to me by Bill Ballard.

Here in Boston we have watched the development of the "New" Mason & Hamlin
over the last decade or so.  The quality of the new instruments is
impressive and we applaud and support the expertise that has been applied in
the rebirth of a great instrument.

BUT the changing of the scale to the BB was clearly a mistake.  The whole
piano sounds great except for the few notes at the bottom of the treble
section which were changed from steel to wound bichord.  We took every
chance to hound Lloyd Meyers and others to change it back.   Right before
the company went under again they came out with a BB with the original
scaling which was shown at the NE Regional and it sounded great in that
section.  And it looks as if the new owners (Pianodisc) are going to leave
it the old way.

I certainly one who approves of applied science.  I am a great beleiver in
trial and error as well.  Here is a case where science was clearly applied
with skill by competent professionals but the reality was not as good as it
looked on paper.

Perhaps one of us on the list has had a chance to chart the scaling of the
original BB scaling with steel strings all the way down the treble versus
the "improved" rescaled BB with wound bichords at the bottom of the treble.

I know something could be learned from this.

David C. Stanwood