Million-Dollar Tip-article

Marcel Carey mcpiano@multi-medias.ca
Sat, 27 Sep 1997 15:01:54 -0400

Hi Bert & List,

Ken Burton's million dollar Tip can be found in the May 1996 issue of the
PTG Journal on page 12.

I've, IMHO, improved the accuracy of this system by changing the procedure a
bit. Here is what I do to aurally pitch raise:

I first tune one string of each A in the piano using a single rubber mute.
This is usually done after lubricating the strings and it will tell me if
they will take the pitch raise. I then remove my mutes and by listening to
the beat of unisons, I can evaluate how far off are different octaves. Then
without using any mutes, I will reproduce the beat of each notes in the
octaves by tuning one string of each unison (usually the right string).
After this, I will mute the tenor section and proceed tuning just the
regular way. I found out that this system will give me a little more
accuracy than Ken's "blind or should I say deaf" way of raising one string
per unison. The more I do it, the closer are my 1st tuned string to final
pitch. It has saved a lot of time for me. Hope some others will try it and
let me know how they like this system.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC