Tuning

Howard S. Rosen hsrosen@emi.net
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 17:39:02 -0400

Dear List,

Let's talk about a new topic...TUNING  (unusual for this list)

I am exhilarated by my recent tunings of equal temperament with perfect
5ths (a la Jim Colemen Sr. in recent PTJ article). Up until now my musical
ear for the past 25 years struggled against my tuner's ear for a satisfying
5th and 6th octave. With this new tuning procedure I am able to stretch
evenly and to the right amount for a greater sounding treble. By stretching
right from the temperament, using a PERFECT 5th as a guide, the resulting
octaves are wider than what we are used to. (4ths are also slightly faster)
However, I'll accept it in return for a much more musical 5th and 6th
octave. I really love to hear clean triple octaves now and the treble can
be very satisfying when listening melodically.

Tuning a new temperament is always difficult and time consuming until you
get used to it. I suggest that you spend 4 or 5 minutes at each job. When
you get stuck, return to your old method and move on. After a few days you
will be getting used to the new procedure.

TRY IT........YOU'LL LIKE IT