Damp Action Drying

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 12:36:12 -0700 (MST)

Hi Jim:

I finally decided to show up in this discussion of solutions for
treating sluggish flanges.

When I worked for Baldwin, I came back from a trip all excited about
LPS #1. I went to our top Quality Control man who wasn't overly excited
about my find. He placed a spot of the solution on a blotter on a mild
heating plate and waited until all of the carrier flashed off. Then
he said to me: "this residue is what will eventually get you into
trouble." He was aware of the Steinway parafin oil treatment and all the
ensuing problems years later. He is the one who invented the Methanol/
water/ivory soap combination for treatment of flanges. It works like
this: the methanol (alcohol) thins the water and breaks down surface
tension so that the water can soak in completely and swell the bushing
cloth (Oh yes, it also slightly swells the wood of the flange too),
which causes the wool to fit the pin smoothly (like ironing), then the
water evaporates out, the wool shrinks, and the fit ends up with less
torque resistance. More water will shrink more. The Ivory soap helps
wash out impurities which may have remained after the bushing cloth was
thoroughly washed prior to flange making.

That's all I remember about the process. "That's all I have to say about
that."

Jim Coleman, Sr.