sluggish centers

Howard S. Rosen hsrosen@emi.net
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 19:40:04 -0400

Thanks for responding Tom!

If an action is so sluggish (console for example), that all 88 keys fail to
return promptly after release of left pedal, or cannot return unless
manually assisted, then I consider this action loaded with moisture. I have
often encountered this situation, applied Naptha & Mineral oil solution
(sometimes a lot of it) and left the home with a completely free action. If
upon return 4 months later only 2 or three hammers are slow to return, this
sitation represents a vast improvement and is easily remedied. To my mind
this is a permanent fix. Note that I did not say this is the case "every
time I tune". I have NEVER had to treat any action repeatedly at every
tuning as you suggested I said. In my experience, 95% of moisture problems
are permanently fixed with Naptha & mineral oil after 1 visit. Only very
severe cases sometimes need a bit more attention during the next tuning,
but that's it. PERMANENT.

Your comment re: Protek is exactly how I feel.