Recordings Vs Tunings

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 10:59:58 -0600

At 07:27 PM 9/9/97 -0400, you wrote:

>..i'll bet there are a few on this list who have tuned for some recordings
>and never got credit...they give credit for everything else on recordings,
>but I have never seen *Piano Prepared by..*..

I've tuned for at least two albums that have gone Platinum (in Canada). The
guy who brought in the sandwiches got a credit on the liner notes... but
the piano tech is apparantly "just doing his job".

>..anyone want to toot their horn about recordings we might know about, or
>even NOT know about..yet..??..hell, I would.

For interest's sake those two albums were "Cowboyography" and "I Outgrew
The Wagon" by Ian Tyson. Ian is probably most well-known for his songs
"Four Strong Winds" and "Summer Wages".

That studio (Sundae Sound) won the Canadian Country Music Association's
"Recording Studio of the Year" award on Monday night. The piano is an early
1960s Yamaha G-7 once owned by the CBC. I'm not particularly happy with the
way the piano sounds as it's very bright, but the engineers love it...
especially since we put it up on hockey pucks under the casters to isolate
it from the studio floor.

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com