Hammer Shank Sounds

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Sun, 07 Sep 1997 07:14:49 -0500

To answer the magical Richard Moodini and other inquring minds:

Direction of the grain in an upright hammer shank should run with the
motion of the hammer/shank assembly toward the string.  That is,
right-angled to the plane of the strings.  When preparing the shanks to
be glued into the hammer head (and this is done first, before that
assembly is glued into the butt) when you put a slit into the side of
the shank for air release, if you put the slit on the side of the shank
that will face the strings, it is easy to correctly align all the shanks
during gluing.  It winds up just like that baseball bat.  You'll hit a
home run every time!

This thread actually started out about grand hammer shanks although it
is not so easy to work with grand shanks before hammer installation.  We
don't do anything extra with grand shanks.  If we have trouble during
voicing - and André described the situation during tuning - we replace
the shank.  That is another reason to use hot hide glue for hammer
gluing; it's easier to undo and new hide glue works very well with any
old hide glue left soaked into the hammer or shank when re-gluing.

Joel Rappaport
Round Rock, Texas