How about Graphite shanks?

Fri, 05 Sep 1997 07:46:28 -0700

David ilvedson wrote:

> > Date:          Thu, 04 Sep 1997 22:32:08 -0700
> > From:          Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
> > To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> > Subject:       Re: How about Graphite shanks?
>
> Del,
>
> I would be interested if that patent was this guy from SF.  Is
> it possible to access the U.S. Patent Office via the Internet
> and search for a patent?  Maybe I should just try, huh?
>
> David ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA

Yes. Their address is http://www.uspto.gov/

I did a quick search (using "soundboard+AND+graphite") and came up with
four listed.

1)  "Compression molded composite guitar soundboard."
2 & 3)  "Composite-materials acoustic stringed musical instrument."
(Same inventors.)
    The abstracts for these indicate that the application was intended
primarily for     guitars.
3)  "Graphite fibre violin."

There was one additional patent of some possible interest
("soundboard+AND+composite"):
4)  Soundboard assembly for pianos or the like." Describes a soundboard
using a wood core and composite faces.

Keep in mind that these records go back only to 1/1/76. For anything
prior to that you have to do a manual search.

--ddf