Putting on decals

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Fri, 05 Sep 1997 07:33:25 -0700

(Comments interspersed)

Thanks to those who have contributed to this this thread.  I haven't
made this call yet.  Fore warned is fore armed.

John R Fortiner wrote:

> Hi Warren,
> Question: what kind of decal - pressure sensitive as are those sold by
> Decals Unlimited?

I don't know yet.  While I was on vacation, she bought it from a city
dealer who ordered it drop shipped.

> Those are really easy to put on as long as the surface
> you are installing them on is a freshly finished surface, not sanded.
> Finish must be dry and hard, but NOT sanded as sanding creates dust that
> is really difficult to completely remove and therefore hinders the
> adhesion of the decal.

This is not a "fresh" finish.  It will be whatever is on the piano now.
My refinishing capabilities are limited to whatever comes out of a spray
can!

> As for the "burnisher" that they recommend a maple hammershank with one
> end sanded on a belt sander at a bevel of 45-60 degrees works absolutely
> fine.  I always apply the decal on top of a thin coat of sanding sealer
> that was applied "wet", not just misted on as this gives a flatter
> surface for the decal.

Is this sanding sealer laquer? Are you using a brush?  What do you mean
"wet"?  I do not have a spray rig.

Thanks,

Warren

---