Parts Profit

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 14:25:27

At 02:38 PM 11/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear list,
>     I'm curious as to how the rest of you treat parts prices in your
>rebuilding jobs. Do you add a percentage?  I've often included parts at my
>cost in a major rebuild if it meant the difference of doing the job or not.
>I know the feeling I get when I take the car in for repairs and pay $175.00
>for a starter when I know I could have bought it for $90.00.  Your thoughts?
>
>Bob Sadowski
>Erie, PA.

Hi Bob,
       At least consider your time spent on the phone, sourcing parts,
shipping and handling bills, and telephone expenses. 2X you invoice cost is
not out of line.  On major jobs we add $20 misc. for shop supplies,
solvents, glue, small felt and leather scraps. I have never had a customer
question the fee.
 On larger items like hammer and shank sets we charge 40% mark up. Afair
retail price.
Regards>
Roger Jolly
University of Saskatchewan