Pesky pitman problem

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 10:42:04 -0600 (CST)

Hi Jeannie,

Here is what I think is happening. When you give the pedal the "hundred
stomp test", you probably did it with full pedal travel per stomp. Odds are,
the owner rides the damper pedal when playing so the pitman never gets the
chance to "zero". It is pushed a little further off center with each pedal
stroke until it jams. The permanent fix is to make a new pitman from a
wooden dowel, put pins in both ends, drill oversize holes in the lever and
the tray, glue a piece of leather or action cloth, with a hole that fits
your new pins, centered over the hole in the lever, and the tray, clear the
old felt bushing out of the hole in the keybed (clearance) and assemble the
mess. You will lose your handy-dandy capstan adjustment, but that can still
be accomplished by adding or deleting thin balance rail punchings on the end
of the pitman. Now, reassemble the piano, submit the bill, accept as many
loaves of bread as you can get away with, stop on the way home and pick up a
nice Sauterne to wash the bread down, and have a very nice evening.

Dang the pitman, full steam ahead... (gotta watch out for the language
police %-)  )

Ron

 Ron Nossaman