Boston Grands - Reply to Newton Hunt's post

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 10:06:01 +0000

We techs don't always use proper notation but Musicians don't
always know why they have both flats and sharps.  They often think it's
due to tradition, key signatures, or an archaic system which should be
abandoned.  When I lecture for theory classes I tune three pure major
thirds stacked on top of each other to form a ghastly sounding augmented
7th, (always amusing). I then tune the A7 into a P8 thus forming a
diminished fourth out of one of the thirds.  I then have demonstrated
why G#-C is not a third.  From there I usually explain temperament and
the sizes of all common intervals and how they don't fit into an octave
coupled with a general overview of how history has dealt with it.  If
time permits, I explain inharmonicity which answers alot of questions
about why some intruments just don't match.  The students and professors
love it, as it is an eye opener and no one can ever again complain about
being marked wrong for a misnotated interval.  I believe all musicians
should be aware of these things but most standard theory curriculums do
a poor job of explaining it if they even do at all.  The most common
mistake is confusing well temperament with equal temperament.
-Mike Jorgnesen RPT
Central Michigan University