Boston Grands - Reply to Newton Hunt's post

Jerry Hunt jhunt@geocities.com
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:03:52 +0000

Susan Kline wrote:

> Hi, Newton, Jerry, Hunts all --
>
> Just from curiosity -- You talk about M4, and seem to mean "major 4ths".
> >From my checkered past, when I taught music theory for one grueling year,
> isn't it "perfect 4ths, 5ths and octaves," and "major thirds, 6ths, 7ths, 2nds?"
>
> Well, enough of being an obnoxious stickler. Have an excellent Thanksgiving.
>
> Susan
>
> At 09:43 AM 11/25/97 +0000, you wrote:
> >Newton Hunt wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello, Jerry,
> >>
> >> Anyone with my last name HAS _GOT_ to be a good tuner.
> ><snip>
> >
> >Newton,
> >The first time I saw your name on this list, I knew that I liked you!
> >Thanks for the advice. I do have one follow up question. You said "Also
> >not that the M6 with an inside M3 contains the M4 A3-D4. You can use
> >this fact to evaluate M4 speeds". I understand the M6/inside M3 (F3-D4,
> >G3-B3, respetively), and I can see that the M4 A3-D4 fits withing the
> >overall interval. My question is, what does one look for in this M4 -
> >i.e. what kind of relationsship?
> >
> >Thanks again.
> >
> >"Hunts of the world unite!" :o)
> >

> Susan Kline
> P.O. Box 1651
> Philomath, OR 97370
> skline@proaxis.com
>
> "I know exactly how long it will take me: whatever time is available, plus a
> little more."
>                         -- Ashleigh Brilliant
Susan,
You are technically correct, but then it has been my experience that
piano tuners compromise technical precision (in nomenclature) in favor
of brevity. By the same token, you might see a reference to an F-A#
interval, whereas the technically correct designation is F-B_flat, this,
I suspect, partially due to the fact that most of us don't have a key on
our keyboard for the flat sign, but do have one for the #.

Have a very happy Thanksgiving.