Boston Grands

Jerry Hunt jhunt@geocities.com
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 09:45:04 +0000

I was doing some tuing on my Boston GP193 yesterday, and made a couple
of observations that hopefully someone can confirm for me.

1) I've had this piano for a little over a year (although mfg. date
according to Pierce is 1994 - it was bought new in late '96), and have
"wrestled with the tuning pins" three times previously. As I've
mentioned before on this list, I am taking the Randy Potter course, and
so felt that I had a good foundation in technique, as far as setting the
pins. However, as I hinted at above, I seemed to be having a little more
trouble in tuning this piano than would be expected for something on
which Steinway puts their name (yes, I know the piano is in fact made by
Kawaii).

Then I had one of those moments involving rapid acceleration of the palm
of the hand, coming to an abrupt stop squarely on the forehead! The pins
turn in minute increments, which can be felt as very faint "clicks". I
had been trying too hard previously, and once having discovered this
(which of course occurred as I was cleaning up the last couple of
unisons to finish up), the rest of the tuning was a breeze (in terms of
pin technique). I have to admit, I don't know anything about the
structure of the pinblock on these pianos, and would appreciate any
information about them, as well as feedback from others as to the
"clicks".

2) I tune (strictly aurally) using the Potter F-A Temprement (F33-A49).
First step obviously is tuning A49 to A440, tuning A37 to A49 (thanks to
feedback from Randy, I've learned to use the M3-M10 test to properly
stretch this octave). Then, F33 is tuned as a third to A37, typically
about 7 beats wide, F45 tuned to F33, then C#41 is tuned as a third to
A37, at about 9 beats wide. This then gives 4 contiguous thirds,
F33-A37, A37-C#41, C#41-F45, F45-A49, which should progress
(approximately) 7, 9, 11, 14 beats wide, respectively. The remainder of
the temperament is tuned with thirds and sixths, with fourth and fifth
checks, as well as ladders of third, sixth tests.

However, both yesterday and on a previous occaision, in tuning this
piano, using the above stretch, I ended up with irregular fourths and
fifths. So, I tuned F33 a little wider (somewhere around 5 to 6 beats
wide), and tuned the remainder of the temperament accordingly. After
finishing, all thirds progressed nicely, as did sixths. Fourths and
fifths progressed nicely (while obviously not perfect progressions, none
offensive). I spot checked with a few M6/inside M3, and the beat rates
were the same. Which is to say, IMHO, this was a good temperament (I
didn't say great).

So, my question is, is this much stretch consistant with your experience
with these pianos?

As I am still pretty much a beginner tuner, I appreciate your comments.

With kindest regards,

Jerry Hunt