downbearing (was steinway D)

Frans Sedee stemvork@xs4all.nl
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 17:57:33 +0100 (MET)

Isaac,

The gauge you describe enables you to check if the string moves up to the bridge
from the agraffe (or capo bar or whatever) and then back down again to the
hinge pin
in the frame.
This is the information you need.
I learned to take a piece of thin rope, lead it through the agraffe, let it
touch the
bridge, and at the end observe how high above the hinge pin the rope would end.
This was done before any stringing. If there would be 3-5 mm "downbearing"
in the bass
section, decreasing untill about 1-2 mm in the treble, the instrument would
be ready
to string. Ofcourse this way the length of the string after the bridge was not
considered. I think this method is not enough, but it is a result in mm.
We should be able to measure the angles that the string is making with a
straight line
from agraffe to hinge pin, on both sides of the bridge, to really be able to
speak of
downbearing.

As far as American tools and lubricants are concerned; a lot of it is
imported in Holland
you can email me what you need. Say hello to monsieur Guillemenot for me if
he can't help you.

Frans Sedee, stemvork@xs4all.nl