pianotech-digest V1997 #294

Wed, 19 Nov 1997 20:58:14 -0800

james turner wrote:

> I have a question I would be interested in hearing some of your
> thoughts.  I have noticed in several old small grands that some had
> stringing braid and some did not.  Would someone explain why some
> companies put stringing braid in and others didn't.  I know what the
> braid does, but how important is it in smaller pianos?  When rebuilding
> old pianos that did not have stringing braid, do you other tuners put it
> in?
>
> Jim Turner
> Gas City, Indiana

I realize that this is a matter of personal taste, but I don't like the look of that red stringing braid down there. It was a
little less bad with the somewhat more tasteful brown that is no longer available, but red? It simply doesn't fit the
aesthetic I am after.

So what to do. We don't put it in unless it is absolutely necessary. It is one of the last steps and is only considered after
the piano is tuned to pitch and most of the hammer fitting and voicing is completed. And when it does go in, we restrict it
to just that section, or sections, where it is really necessary.

I also don't like the gaudy red stringing felt that is universally used now and was greatly disappointed to see Steinway
succumb to the galloping red blight.

-- ddf