..rebuild a George Steck..?

Wed, 19 Nov 1997 20:47:41 -0800

Phil Bondi wrote:

> ..it's 62 years old..it needs everything..it's ugly..but it still has life
> left in it..
>
> ..the owner is moving from a house to a condo and instead of moving the
> piano to the new place as is, she is *toying* with the idea of someone
> re-building the piano and then have it moved into her new condo..the person
> doing the re-building would be me..
>
> ..the question I have is this..
>
> ..In my mind I'm thinking that I couldn't do this for less than $6,000..It
> is only a 4'6" Piano..She has already asked me about the *replacement value*
> of this piano..I told her if she elects to re-build it, then she could hand
> it down to her Grandchildren knowing that it had been re-built..I asked her
> if she could put a value on that scenario..she said no..
>
> ..then I bought up the scenario that she move it as is into her new condo..i
> asked her if the piano fits with the *decor*..she said no, that's why she's
> thinking about re-building it..making it *pretty* again..
>
> ..it's my opinion that the rules of:
>
> *What you MUST do*
> *What you SHOULD do*
> *What yo COULD do*
>
> do not apply here..It's all or nothing with this one.
>
> ..opinions are warmly welcomed.

At this stage of my life, I've become increasingly aware that I only have time left to rebuild a certain number of pianos.
Would I want that to be one of them?

I'd have saved myself a lot of frustration over the years if I'd started thinking of that some years back. I'd have said "no"
to quite a few of the jobs that I did and the world would probably be a better place for it.

Tell her to make an offer on the Kohler & Campbell that is going to be available when Avery rebuilds that Henry F Miller.

-- ddf