software/technology question

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 17:00:10 -0700

> Date:          Sun, 16 Nov 1997 08:47:59 -0500
> From:          Brad Smith <bsmith006@sprintmail.com>
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject:       software/technology question

> To All,
> I have this fantasy of having my own web page where customers can
> schedule appointments by clicking/pointing.  Any ideas where to start
> looking for help to do this?  Or what types of software can be used for
> this?  I would like to put schedule parameters in place, and have my
> customers fit into them as much as possible. Thanks for any input.

Brad,

>I think it would be very expensive to do this right now.  You would
>have to have your own server and dedicated line to run that kind of
>software.

>stuff deleted

>Ron

Ron, I advised Brad against this idea too because I thought no one would use
it.  It seems that a couple of replies came in saying some might use it and
it was a good idea.  But your saying this would be expensive is wrong.
Ninety nine percent of the servers we all signed up with allow several
megabytes for web pages.  I have my piano brokering page up and running and
it is all free (or $19.95 including my browsing and e-mail but I pay that
anyway).

Brad can do this for ZERO cost, provided his "provider" allows web pages.
You don't need to buy a server, you don't even need to buy a "domain name"
unless you want Itune@piano.com to be your address.

Cellphones are great for our business.  Here is another tip:  Get a
cellphone and give out the number as your business number.  Change it in
your yellow page ad and guess what:  that extra charge the phone company
charges you for having a "business" line at your home disappears.  All of
the people who call you on your old number still get you.  The people who
call on the new number get you too, right away if your in the field.  When
you're home you can forward the cellphone to your home number.

MORE TECHNOLOGY:  they have modems and software that will field all of your
calls and faxes and even selectively page you.  You can form a list and when
someone from your "list" calls, it pages you.  Whatever you like!

It's an amazing time to be alive!  Thank goodness the digital pianos don't
sound like acoustics!

Glenn.