Duplex scale

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 11:20:51 +0000

Hello List,
     Wouldn't a tuned duplex scale segment enhance the tone of that
harmonic in the speaking length not because of sympethetic ring but
because a tuned segment would have a length equal to one of the harmonic
wavelengths in the speaking length?  Would this enhance that harmonic by
allowing or encouraging counterflex in the duplex segment equal to that
harmonic thus less drag due to stiffness at the bearing point?  (i.e
lifting a string makes it want to counterflex an equal amount on the
otherside of the bearing point and when it is unequal there is stiffness
which impedes this lifting?)  Forgive me for bringing up an old
question, but I don't recall this aspect of duplex scales discussed in
the recent articles.
-Mike Jorgensen