rescaling

Gene Roe music.conx@net1plus.com
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 21:17:26 -0800

ralph m martin wrote:

> Hello list
> I just took in for restringing a 1917 Schaffer & Sons, 4' 6" petite
> grand. Took all the measurements and fed it into the computer program for
> rescaling. Using the existing scale configuration (bridge, etc.) this is
> going to be a bear to rescale. The print-out was positively horrible.
>
> Anyone have any experience with rescaling one this small? This is the
> smallest I've ever attempted.
>
> Tips would help.....can't hurt!!
>
> Ralph Martin

  Hi Ralph, I have rescaled several real Runt grands with some success. The
biggest problem is getting the strings made. The makers I know have real
difficulty when the OD gets bigger than .3" when the core wants to be .049 or
smaller. On some strings they made for me they actually turned the winding
lathe by hand. If you E Mail me the scale privately  I will see if my
stringwinder can make it.
Gene Roe RPT