Baldwin studio dampers

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 08:47:07 -0600

Dear Liszt,
Over the years I have tried to find a way to stop the excessive ringing in
Baldwin 243's.  I've had several this week and it's on my mind again. Most
of the ringing comes from the bass and I have many times replaced the felt
and increased the damper follow with minimal effect.  I use the bass
dampers with the offset backing which allows a longer damper to be
installed without the hammer hitting them.  I've installed the shorter ones
too. I don't know of any supplier who offers anything that is pre-made that
works better.  Do I have to make 'em?  What works.  Some of these pianos
are really bad.  I know that at some point you reach the point of
diminishing returns and cannot go too big/long.  Help please.  Thanks!!!
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net