University Sales

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 12:19:15 +0000

Hello List,
     At our school of music we have a loan/sale agreement with about 13
percent of all our pianos.  IMHO I see no problem with this, and it
seems to be good for both of us.  We aren't involved in the sales other
than to allow it to take place in the building.  We like the pianos
(Yamahas) and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.  The only danger is
some schools have come to rely on this having sold their whole
inventories-I've heard of several.  This may be their demise if the
manufacturer decides to quit.  I would sure hate to approach the
university administration and say "we need ten million dollars for
pianos, and like right now! We will be alright though because we
regularly buy pianos, and own most of them   The pianos get about six
tunings a year with us plus the servicebond work.  I doubt many home
pianos receive this in the first year. Also the first and most unstable
year is spent with us-a knowledgeable and understanding place.

-Mike Jorgensen
Central Michigan University