One of those silly questions...

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 13:26:25 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 9 Nov 1997, rmartin30@juno.com (ralph m martin) wrote:

> Since SAT means Sanderson Accu-Tuner, I was taught, back in the dark
> ages that "an" was used only before a vowel or "h". Following this old
> rule means that you would say "an Accu-Tuner" but would have to say "A
> Sanderson Accu-Tuner" or "a SAT"
>
> Since my English was not learned in this country, the rule may not
> really apply here???

Partly correct, Ralph. It all depends on how the *reader* reads what's on
the page. If the reader sees SAT, he/she could either read that as
Sanderson Accu-tuner or "ess-ay-tee", in which case, you'd say "an SAT"
since saying "uh ess-ay-tee" sounds kinda...well, yeah!...silly! Folks in
the circles in which I tend to run seem to gravitate toward the lazier
latter "uh".

			     Ron Torrella, RPT
			Assistant Piano Technician
			  University of Michigan