Killer B's

Wed, 12 Nov 1997 10:07:24 -0800

Avery Todd wrote:

> Del,
>
> SNIP
>
>    Any chance you could elaborate any on this?
>
> (Inside joke. "Killer B" is what we privately call our Model B conversion.)
>
> Avery
>
> ___________________________
> Avery Todd, RPT
> Moores School of Music
> University of Houston
> Houston, TX 77204-4893
> 713-743-3226
> atodd@uh.edu
> http://www.uh.edu/music/

Avery,

This is a high performance conversion of the Model B grand. We start with a B of any age and strip it down to the bare rim
and framework. We install several additional rim/belly braces and a structural soundboard cut-off bar. I have designed a new
soundboard and rib scale along with a somewhat different method of bellying the board than the process that has been
traditionally used. I have also designed a new tenor/treble bridge and a new stringing scale to go with it. The bass string
scale is also modified. We modify the plate a bit to remove the tuned aliquot design and improve string termination and
remove the miscellaneous string buzzes and whistles. The action is left alone except for normal rebuilding/remanufacturing
work. If it is old and worn, all parts are replaced with the appropriate new Renner parts. If we're working on a newer piano
we check the action geometry and do whatever is necessary. Hammers are either Steinway or Issacs. Everything else is much too
hard. Even these have to be needled, sometimes through C-88.

The result is a piano with a much cleaner and articulate bass section, a much smoother (nearly invisible) bass/tenor break, a
much more articulate upper tenor/treble section with both more power and longer sustain (I'm working on ways to put several
additional dampers in the piano -- it needs them) and a much brighter and cleaner treble section. Again, with no lacquer in
the hammers. Not even at the top. (It's not that I'm so opposed to lacquer in hammers, it's just that it's not necessary.)

I hope that answers your question. If you would like more details, send my your mailing address and I'll send you a copy of
our newsletter.

Regards,

Del