Werkmeister temperament specs (fwd)

Paul N. Bailey 103445.713@CompuServe.COM
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 07:34:14 -0500

Andreas Werckmeister Well-Temperament
        from
The Equal Beating Temperaments
        by Owen Jorgensen

"This is most often referred to as the "Correct Temperament No. 1." In some
books it is named "Werkmeister III.""

(In musical notation we are directed to tune middle C to a pitch
standard,then half way 'round
the circle of fifths in the direction of flats, by just fourths and
fifths.)

Tune D pure to Bb and then sharpen D until Bb - D beats exactly the same
speed as D-F#.

Tune G3 pure to D4 and then sharpen G3 until G3-D4 beats at exactly the
same speed as G3-C4.

Tune A3 pure to F3 and then sharpen A3 until F3-A3 beats at exactly the
same speed as A3-D4.

(the above footnoted: Andreas Werckmeister. Musicalische Temperatur.
Frankfurt: In
        Verlegung T.P. Calvissii, 1691)

+++++++================+++++++++++++++++===================+++++++++++++

I think this is an excellent and accurate interpretation because it's
simple, the tempering
is done by equal beating methods, and the result contains many proportional
beating triads.

++++++++++++===================++++++++++++++++++++++++===================

Cents deviation from Equal Temperament, as calculated by Fred Tremper

c= 0.0
b= -6.3
a#= -3.9
a= -10.2
g#= -7.8
g= -2.6
f#= -11.7
f= -2.0
e= -8.2
d#= -5.9
d= -6.7
c#= -9.8

Column 1 is Fred's numbers plus 10.2 so that A4= 440 hz.
Column 2 is column 1 added up and divided by 12, and that amount
subtracted from each value so that the average pitch level will
have the least variation from contemporary (A 440) pitch.

                (1)     (2)

c               10.2    6.26
b               3.9     -0.04
a#              6.3     2.36