..The Tuning Exam..

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sun, 9 Nov 97 19:44:59 -0600

Phil Bondi wrote:

>..it seems that i've raised the hairs on a few necks regarding my recent
>comments..
>
>..if i am wrong in my understanding of what the exam is, PLEASE, just say
>so..
>
>..the last thing i want to do is to be one the *outside* of this list
>looking in..i was stating what my understanding is..if i'm wrong, just say
>so.

The preliminary tuning before a master tuning starts is often visual.  A
VTD is always present during a master tuning, after all, and is sometimes
consulted.  At this point in the history of piano tuning, I think it is
only realistic to expect RPT's to use every available tool to create the
best master tunings possible.

However, the final arbiter in a master tuning, just as it is in the
tuning exam itself, is always the human ear and not a VTD.

Kent Swafford