Dampp Chaser, Humidity

Frank Leister fLeister@mindspring.com
Sun, 9 Nov 1997 09:57:13 -0500

Hi:

I hope the subscribers of this list don't mind a question from somebody who
is not a tuner or technician.

I own two Steinway grands: a model D less than a year old, and a model B
about two years old. My question relates to the necessity of using a Dampp
Chaser system.

On the model D, the dealer installed a Dampp Chaser system and it has
always concerned me that the long rods are very hot -- you can't even touch
them for more than a few seconds.

I brought this to the attention of the dealer's technician and he moved
them down a couple inches (thereby adding more holes to the piano
woodwork!).

But still they remain very hot.

On the other hand, the Dampp Chaser wants a drink every week! So it seems
that the system is fighting itself.

The final straw is that I just bought a couple hand-held hygrometers (I got
two different ones to, hopefully, make sure they were in the ballpark with
their humidity readings). In the room with the model D, the humidity is
consistently between 40% and 50%, which sounds good.

In a nutshell, is a Dampp chaser necessary in my scenario, and does it
appear to be malfunctioning since it is always very hot to the touch, yet
wants to be filled with water each week?

Thanks very much for your comments.

Frank Leister
Mechanicsburg, PA