after-ring

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat, 08 Nov 1997 09:11:14 -0500

There are many sources of such ringing, and Wilem is right in saying
that there may be no solution, but I would trace the source before
saying such.

	Dampers at bass end of middle section can be too short.
	Un stripped bass tails.
	Singing waste ends of treble strings.
	Open strings two octaves up.
	Poorly damped bass strings
	Poorly damped treble strings.
	Some damper levers resting on lift rod.
	Too fast timing of any damper.
	It can also be unmuted wires from pressure bar to tuning pins.
	Hard dampers.

Any combination of above.

Dampers should  touch all strings, upper and lower parts of damper at
the same time with equal pressure.  That said there is an additional
source which is poor assembly.  They could be set too high or too low on
the strings.

The real problem though is that you just cannot get IN there.

Trying to solve the problem my be an excersize in futility, but an
educational one.  You may isolate the problem(s) but it may not be worth
fixing because of time required, but isolating the problem will provide
it's solution.

For hunting.

	Newton
	nhunt@jagat.com