after-ring

Richard Wagner Rjwag@pacifier.com
Fri, 07 Nov 1997 19:30:32 -0800

>>I sort of tuned a Kimball console this morning that had a slight
>>"after-ring" when playing A-440.  All dampers "seemed" to be mating the
>>strings correctly.  When I pushed the A-440 damper tightly against the
>>three strings, it did NOT diminish the after ring.

Leslie,

I'm assuming this piano is in a customer's home.

If not, (Yes... alright, a long shot) and you were tuning for a store, were
there any pianos nearby with their actions (and dampers) removed?
This could be a source for major after ring.

OK, now that I've returned from the land of never-never conjecture, one
more thing...

I've found that if the waste sections of the bass strings have not been
interwoven with stringing braid, sometimes they can chime in with unwelcome
resonance.  Good hunting.

                                           Richard Wagner RPT