"voicing?" or "perception"

w sikora sikora@postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Thu, 06 Nov 1997 07:03:20 -0500

My experience has been that softening hammers that are too hard (all 88) to
restore resilency and then "sugar coating" the striking area makes the
action feel lighter, or at least easier because of the increased ease of
dynamic control.  But maybe this isn't exactly what you mean by "voicing a
piano down".

I often tell my customers to expect the action to feel better after voicing,
and when they try it they say "yes, it feels lighter and easier".  So maybe
you have to add the power of suggestion to perception.  Complex, isn't it.

Walter Sikora, RPT
Chapel Hill, NC