Hard Hammers (was Re: loose pins)

Avery Todd atodd@uh.edu
Sat, 1 Nov 1997 16:50:10 -0600

David,

   I think I have some saved posts on this general subject that I can
send if you would like. One are the posts about steaming from about May
of 1995 and the other is a prepping procedure for Kawai pianos which
includes some other voicing techniques dealing with hard hammers. If
you weren't on the list then (I can't remember) you would probably
enjoy reading them. Some of them might be applicable to the piano
mentioned below and save you some time and frustration.
   Let me know.

Avery

>The nice tone you are referring to is soon to be history.  Many
>if not all Korean pianos have extremely hard hammers which will
>be apparent in the near future.  For an example...I have a new
>account in a restaurant which I service every month here in San
>Francisco.  Every month it sounds like it has tacks in the
>hammers.  The hammer felt has a stamp of "Royal George Felt" on
>the sides. Not a very good advertisement for "Royal George
>Felt".  I can't get a needle in more than a 1/8th of an inch so
>I just try to fluff the strike point.  This piano has a 3 ply
>soundboard with the spruce on the top and bottom.  I hate this
>piano!  I will try the steam or fabric softener in the near
>future.  What a waste of wood!!!!!
>
>David ilvedson, RPT

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music