Sluggish dampers

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 11:22:27 -0700 (MST)

Hi David:

Yes, tightening the damper screws can definitely have an affect on
sluggish dampers.  It can twist dampers as well as lean them one way
or another.  If the dampers are binding on one side of the guide holes,
you can check that by lightly pushing the damper head first to one side
and then to the other with your fingernail.  If it is harder to push one
way than the other, you have binding. Fix it with the double bends of the
wire from below.  I wrote on this about 3 months ago.

The other thing which can cause sluggish dampers is tight damper flange
bushings, even in the upper lever.  You can locate the sluggish dampers
by lifting the levers one at a time with one finger.  You'll be able to
feel any big differences. If you disconnect the damper wire and lift again
you may be able to tell if it is the flange or the upper lever flange by
rotating it.  In some extreme cases, it could be the guide rail bushings
themselves.  If it is, this can be reamed or enlarged very slightly using
a hod rod or caul, or sometimes only using an umbrella stave. If only
the umbrella stave is needed, that can be done without taking out the
action.  To do this, lift a damper, place a pointed stave against the
damper wire and then work the two up and down together so that you don't
scratch the damper wire.  This should be done only as much as you would
ease a key bushing.  You don't want a sloppy guide rail.

Sometimes tight damper flange bushings only need something like protek or
some other good center pin lubricant or shrinking solution.  Otherwise,
repinning is necessary.

Jim Coleman, Sr.

PS I really do occasionally write on things other than Accutuners.