To Step in It/and walk away

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 12:39:24 -0600

When I tuned for a store, they sold a piano to a family whose
daughter needed a better piano for lessons.  The store gave a free in
home tuning, and afterwards I was glad the girl had a decent make and
 good sounding piano.
	Then the  store calls back and says the student  thinks it is out of
tune, so back I go and it is fine.
	The store calls again and says they still think it is out of tune,
so I suggest they send another tuner.  About two months later I get a
call, the piano is still out, would I go out once more and check
things out, we will pay you of course.
	The piano sounded, good, great in fact, then I remembered I forgot
to ask if they had sent another tuner out, so I wondering who I was
tuning behind.  I checked the temperament, the octaves and double
octaves, fifths and double fifths etc etc.   Suppose he had used
!gasp! a machine.
	 This time I was able to ask the girl, but she could not tell me
where the piano sounded out of tune, just that it sounded much
different from her teacher's piano. So I suggested  she use her
teacher's tuner. .
	" She can't remember who tuned it. She said it was seven years ago."

	I half expected to see this in "Joy Luck Club" as this happened in
San Francisco.

Richard Moody