World's Worst Tuner

UNATUNER@aol.com UNATUNER@aol.com
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 11:55:16 -0500 (EST)

The last time I saw a piano with a bass bridge uprooted and pulled at least
1/4 inch up toward the treble, I say "UH OH" some "*!@#$" raised the pitch
all at once!

My feeling is that the piano holds an enoumous strain from the tension of the
strings and it is the duty of the technician to respect what that tension can
do to a piano.  I know that bass bridges do not come loose and crawl up due
to old age and gravity!  I feel that I should at least respect the integrity
and structure of the piano by restoring this strain at  a slow and regular
pace.   I do however offer to the customer that the pitch can be raised in
one session, but if they want this service, they will have to sign a
disclaimer stating that I will not be held responsible for the consequences
which can include, although extremely rare, fracturing of the piano plate
which may render the piano useless and unrepairable.  (No one has ever agreed
to a pitch raise). Many people, however, have set up with me, a regular
program to raise pitch in a manner that is not potentially injurious to the
structure of the piano.  I am not lazy, I just believe that I have a duty to
preserve the piano in it's best condition for as long as possible, in
addition , only adding or subtracting tension in amounts no greater than
typical seasonal changes (do) cannot in any way be construed to be injurious
to the piano or incompetence on my part should an accident happen.

Over the years, I have experienced numerous bridge problems, especially
tipping of the bridges,  waves and curves in soundboards, and a few cracked
plates which I believe can only be caused by quick and sudden increases in
string tension and the effect this has on pulling the bridges toward the
treble.

I'm probably the Worlds Worst Tuner

Jerry Wood

P.S. Car tire pressure and piano plate tension are two completely different
things
PPSS.  Pianos that are tuned flat can be very useful instruments and I have
yet to read any studies where it ruins childrens ears.. In fact, was'nt
standard pitch A 435
at one time?  Pity, all those poor children!!!

<<  Suppose you took your car into Schwab's and asked them to "check the