World's Worst Tuner

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 03:00:53 -0500 (EST)

Randy -

<< if you hear flat tones, you will learn an
 incorrect sense of pitch. This is especially true of children, who will
 learn to sing flat if they grow up hearing a flat instrument, and will
 have a poor sense of developed pitch their whole lives."  >>

I learned to play on a piano that was about 100 cents flat.  Maybe I was
influenced more by listening to WWV (Bureau of Standards Radio - used to
broadcast A=440 four minutes out of every five) as a teenager, but I never
felt the piano being evenly low had a detrimental effect on my singing.  How
else could I have received a music degree from Westminster Choir College?

I am not sure what you mean by "developed pitch."  "Perfect" pitch?  Relative
pitch?

Bill Maxim, RPT