Trap Work (Was: Disgruntled list members)

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 01:14:58 -0600

Greg Newell wrote:
>         I appreciate the use of the Hammer felt as a strronger substitute for the inverted
> capstan. I wonder ... could the adjustment ever need to be changed after we glue that
> felt on and if so perhaps 2 capstans would be viable.
>                                         Greg

Using 2 capstans reminds me too much of regulating a rocker action,
those actions seen on old Bechsteins, among others, that have a rocking
wooden mini-rail placed on top of the key where the capstan normally
goes.  The mini-rail is held in place by two screws, fore and aft.  The
hammer height adjustment is done by loosening up one of the screws and
tightening the other.  This tilts the mini-rail and changes the height
of the hammer.  Greg, both of your capstans would have to be super
regulated so that they both hit at precisely the same time to share the
wear or there would be no point to having 2 capstans.

A thin cutting of hammer felt can always be added to what is already
there if you have to prevent the dampers from being raised too much.  In
the event that the existing block has to be shortened, it can be
removed, a sliver cut off and glued back on.  You could even remove the
damper lift lever to slice a little off the block if you don't have your
handy protable hot glue pot with you and fired up.  Using hot glue makes
it easier to remove the felt block if you must.

----Joel