DO IT RIGHT!: was: Re: World's Worst Tuner

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Sun, 30 Mar 1997 22:45:51 -0800

jptuner wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > jptuner wrote:
> > > when you tune for dealers you have to draw a
> > > line,you can not keep a dealer for to long for charging for pitch raises
> > > they will soon find a  tuner cheaper and use them.
> > > .
> > Dear jptuner,
> >
> > When I first started tuning for dealers, I felt exactly the same as you
> > do.  Six months or a year later, I had to explain why the piano was not
> > tuned correctly originally.  That is an awkward situation to say the
> > least!  The fact that the dealer wouldn't pay for pitch raises, didn't
> > impress them overmuch!  You need to decide whether you are building a
> > client list for when you will strike out on your own later, or you are
> > just tuning the dealer's pianos.  If you choose the former, then donate
> > the time to do it right the first time!  Make the customer happy and
> > they are yours from then on!  NO ONE can steal them from you!  The more
> > competant musician the customer is the more you do to make the piano
> > right for them.  Sell the four tunings the first year that most
> > manufacturers recommend and you'll put their piano in excellent tune and
> > adjustment and make back your losses in six months!  When you are known
> > to be the man does pianos "right" the world will beat a path to your
> > door!  There are too many "halfway tooners" out there already!  I used
> > this procedure to build a group of 750 customers in a little over three
> > years working for two dealers. Half of that group were tuning every six
> > months!
> >
> > As far as the customers who refuse to pay for the pitch raise, the
> > problem is you haven't made them want the benefits of an "in tune"
> > piano!  Fuller, clearer sound that feels correct to people who have a
> > good pitch sense and just sounds nice to the others. And the most
> > important thing, most people, if they are going to have it tuned at all,
> > deep down want it tuned "RIGHT"!! Simply say, "Mrs. Jones, your piano is
> > 40 cents flat! Do you want me to tune it flat or do you want me to TUNE
> > IT CORRECTLY?  What we've done here is tell them they have a BIG
> > PROBLEM, and that tuning it flat is NOT CORRECT!  You know what most
> > red-blooded American piano owners are going to choose when you ask them
> > that question?  They are going to want it done right!  And even if it's
> > not in the budget, they will figure out some way to pay for it!  I get
> > about one in 15-20 that give me the wrong answer to that question!  Try
> > it----you'll like it!
> >
> > Warren
> > --
> > Warren D. Fisher
> > fish@communique.net
> > Registered Piano Technician
> > Piano Technicians Guild
> > New Orleans Chapter 701
> thanks for the insight warren!
>                jptuner
> can you tell me how do i answer a letter from sentences rather then from
> replying with the whole letter showing. thanks!

Sure Jp,

1. If you have a mouse and you are using Netscape  or Eudora, select
"Return Mail" and the message you are returning is entered into the
message composition window.  Next, you move your cursor(arrow if you
have windows) to just below and to the right of the last word of the
text you want to delete from the return message.  Press the left
button(if you are right handed) and hold it down while you move the
cursor up the page at angle toward the top left corner. As you move up
the page the text that you are passing over will change color to
indicate that it is selected for you next command.  Move the cursor
around until only the text you want to delete is in a different color.
As you get to the top of the page slow down your movement until you just
barely touch the top of the screen or the movement will speed up
drastically making it difficult to control what you are doing. If you go
too far pull it slowly back down the page until you recognise where you
are then turn around in the other direction again.  Don't lift your
finger from the button during all this or you will have to start over.
Once you have everything selected, lift your finger from the button and
press the "delete" button on your keyboard.  If you have a laptop it is
about 3 buttons to the right of the spacebar. If you have a full sized
computer, it should be just to the right of the "Backspace" button.  All
the selected text will disappear from the screen leaving just the text
you wanted to save.  If not, do it over, you'll get it right next time!

Good Luck,

Warren

p.s. If your computer or software are not as I discribed, tell me what
you have and I'll take another crack at it.