World's Worst Tuner

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Sun, 30 Mar 1997 21:44:12 +0000

> Date:          Sun, 30 Mar 1997 19:10:05 -0500
> From:          jptuner <jptuner@asan.com>
> Subject:       Re: World's Worst Tuner
> To:            pianotech@byu.edu

By your comments I gather you are referring to work you do for a
dealer as in he sells a piano and gives the customer a "free"
tuning.  Thats where you come in and you probably agreed to do
this work at a discount?   I quess the dealer isn't tuning the pianos
in the store before he tries to sell them?  I would point out to
the dealer that you are being put in an awkward position by his
cost cutting store policy.  If he wants satisfied customers he
should seriously consider at least a once over in the store to
bring them up to pitch.  As far as bringing down the middle to
match the flat treble.  It seems like it would be just as easy
to bring up the treble and get the piano closer to pitch.  If I
was in your situation and I couldn't convince the dealer of his
folly, I'd give it two guick passes with the final pass
concerned mainly with the middle and make sure the customer
is going to stay with you. Remember it will be that much easier
in 4 months.  I would imagine that most of the time those
referrals are continuing to use you?  If not, whats the use of
doing discounted dealer work?

David ilvedson
Pacifica, CA