Damper Lift Limiting (Was Re: Disgruntled list members (long))

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 00:05:05 -0500 (EST)

<< What about retrofitting the style limiter that Kawai uses with the
 inverted capstan to limit pedal travel?  Seems like a good idea.
 Adjustable whenever!
                                    Greg
                                    gnewell@en.com

Greg,

The idea is great and should solve the problem.  However, I've found the
capstan that Kawai uses (perhaps used to use?) can get the threads stripped
out in the wood and not perform their function under HEAVY use.  However, you
could put a hex bolt, like Baldwin does, in the same location and acheive
this and be able to withstand much heavier stomping.  I imagine that some
other brands have this too, but I'm especially used to these.

BTW, on this same thread, the little nails can work ok but if the pianist is
driving the dampers up this hard we need to limit the stress that they can
apply to the system by the methods we've been discussing.  Trying to stop the
travel by the up-stop rail still lets them press hard from below and possibly
cause undue wear on the back action centers or even bend something.  Just a
few thoughts on the matter...

Allan

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.