DO IT RIGHT!: was: Re: World's Worst Tuner

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Sun, 30 Mar 1997 19:42:27 -0800

jptuner wrote:
> when you tune for dealers you have to draw a
> line,you can not keep a dealer for to long for charging for pitch raises
> they will soon find a  tuner cheaper and use them.
> .
Dear jptuner,

When I first started tuning for dealers, I felt exactly the same as you
do.  Six months or a year later, I had to explain why the piano was not
tuned correctly originally.  That is an awkward situation to say the
least!  The fact that the dealer wouldn't pay for pitch raises, didn't
impress them overmuch!  You need to decide whether you are building a
client list for when you will strike out on your own later, or you are
just tuning the dealer's pianos.  If you choose the former, then donate
the time to do it right the first time!  Make the customer happy and
they are yours from then on!  NO ONE can steal them from you!  The more
competant musician the customer is the more you do to make the piano
right for them.  Sell the four tunings the first year that most
manufacturers recommend and you'll put their piano in excellent tune and
adjustment and make back your losses in six months!  When you are known
to be the man does pianos "right" the world will beat a path to your
door!  There are too many "halfway tooners" out there already!  I used
this procedure to build a group of 750 customers in a little over three
years working for two dealers. Half of that group were tuning every six
months!

As far as the customers who refuse to pay for the pitch raise, the
problem is you haven't made them want the benefits of an "in tune"
piano!  Fuller, clearer sound that feels correct to people who have a
good pitch sense and just sounds nice to the others. And the most
important thing, most people, if they are going to have it tuned at all,
deep down want it tuned "RIGHT"!! Simply say, "Mrs. Jones, your piano is
40 cents flat! Do you want me to tune it flat or do you want me to TUNE
IT CORRECTLY?  What we've done here is tell them they have a BIG
PROBLEM, and that tuning it flat is NOT CORRECT!  You know what most
red-blooded American piano owners are going to choose when you ask them
that question?  They are going to want it done right!  And even if it's
not in the budget, they will figure out some way to pay for it!  I get
about one in 15-20 that give me the wrong answer to that question!  Try
it----you'll like it!

Warren
--
Warren D. Fisher