home alone

Barb Barasa bbarasa@mind.net
Sun, 30 Mar 1997 12:26:09 +0000

I've been tuning for 15 years and have never felt this was an issue
for me.  In some ways (and this is reverse sexism, to be sure!) I
think women are more comfortable having me come in as a tuner than a
man.  But I have no evidence to support this.

I think it may depend on the communities we serve.  I came from a
rural area, where people don't lock their doors and have no problem
with me going in when kids or no one are home.  But I also tuned in
the Chicago suburbs, and there people wanted to meet me the first
time, and after that they might leave a key.

I now live in another small town, and I don't feel this is an issue
here, either.  But I must admit, it's a crazy world.  People claim
things that are not true for their own twisted reasons.  We each have
to do what we are comfortable with.

I have never felt uncomfortable when there is only a male customer
home.  I am friendly, talk to them about their piano, find out
something about them, but keep it "professional."  And, of course,
since I know I may be crawling around under a piano, I wear pants,
not mini-skirts.

I've been in the homes of people who are pretty far off the deep end
in one way or another, but not in any way that would harm me!

Barb Barasa
Ashland, OR

> There is another side to this issue, which I want to address to the woman
> techs. How do you feel if you have to tune a piano for a man who is home
> alone? Do you feel threatened in any way? One of you mentioned you would
> cancell an appointment if only a teenager was at home. Would you cancell an
> appointment if only a man was at home?  And to turn that around, how would
> you react if a man, who was alone, told you you couldn't come it, because he
> is afraid you would charge him with sexual harrasment.

"When nothing is sure,
     everything is possible."