home alone

Kenneth W. Burton kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca
Sun, 30 Mar 1997 05:03:35 -0700 (MST)

	List,

	I thought you might enjoy a humorous(?) story about an experience
I had because of my ignorance:

	While doing piano work in Medicine Hat, Alberta, where I lived
from 1972 - 1979, I regularly tu ned a nice grand piano for a teacher and
performer there, a very elegant and beautiful lady about my own age.
	When I arrived one morning at the appointed time and rang the
doorbell, there was no answer. Anxious not to lose two hours as Saturday
was my only day to work, I tried the door. It opened and I cautiously
entered the house. I knew her well enough to know that she wouldn't mind
if I went in and started the piano while she presumably had coffee with
some neighbors.
	As I entered, I called repeatedly, "Hello!" "Hello!" Finally an
answer came from the bathroom, "I'm taking a bath. Just go ahead. You know
where the piano is."
	I had just nicely got started, when the phone rang. The voice from
the bathroom called, "Would you get that?"
	I lifted the receiver and said, "Hello?" There was a momentary
pause, then a male voice inquired, "Is Candace there?" "Yes," I stuttered,
"but she can't come to the phone."
	The voice deepened about an octave. "This is her husband. Why
can't she come to the phone?" The words were tinged with suspicion. I
hurriedly explained that I was the piano tuner and that I was working on
the piano and that Candace had gone into the bathroom to take a bath.
	He grunted and hung up. But I don't think he believed me because I
was never called back to tune that piano again!

	Happy Easter!

			"HE IS RISEN!"

	Ken Burton "Doctor Piano" Calgary Alberta