Disgruntled list members (long)

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Sun, 30 Mar 1997 11:23:58 -0600

Greg Newell wrote:

> Joel Rappaport wrote:
> >
> > The excessive pedal and trapwork travel is what does it.  Additional
> > pieces of hard felt or a new, thicker block of hammer felt glued on top
> > of the trapwork lever will adjust this.
>
> What about retrofitting the style limiter that Kawai uses with the
> inverted capstan to limit pedal travel?  Seems like a good idea.
> Adjustable whenever!
>                                    Greg
>                                    gnewell@en.com
------------------------
An excellent idea, Greg.  All you would need to do is install a capstan
on the underside of the keybed.  It should hit some pretty hard felt for
the regulation to be effective and long lasting.  The reason I did not
mention this (we do this in our rebuilding, BTW) is that the capstan
will give you a really good fine adjustment to the trapwork lever (and
hence, pedal) travel.  What Jim Coleman was referring to, however, was a
pretty severe case of heavy foot.  Considering the small area of the
capstan head and the force that is placed on the trapwork lever during
foot stomping, a 3cm (about 1-1/4") square of hard hammer felt will take
that force better.

Joel