plate spraying!

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Sun, 30 Mar 1997 08:39:07 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Dave.

Actually, I thought spraying the plate with the strings and pins still
in place was a labor-saving technique used by some techs on low-budget
restorations. The effects can be startling! It was a couple of decades
ago, but I can still remember seeing a "restored" (that's how the lady
described it) Brambach grand in which the plate, pins, bass and treble
strings, bridges and soundboard (dirt and all) had been spray-painted
gold. At the same time, the case had been painted with a brush using
a super-slow drying, dirt, dust and fuzzball magnitized paint. Call the
technique unique, if you like, but the end result was nothing, if not
memorable!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net